Monday, February 20, 2012

Movie Review: The Vow

I have now seen The Vow twice.  The first time seemed as if I was at a giant slumber party because I went to go see the midnight premier across the street from my school.  It seemed as if every girl from school was in the movie theater, along with some guys... the boyfriends who got dragged along to the movie.  

About the Movie: The Vow was about two people named Paige (Rachel McAdams) and Leo (Channing Tatum).  Paige and Leo were married and got in a very bad car accident which left Paige in a coma.  When Paige woke from her coma, she had no recollection of what had happened in the last 5 years of her life.  She didn't even remember that she was married to Leo.  In her mind, she was still engaged to her ex-fiance Jeremy and was a law student.  Throughout the movie, Leo works to help her remember what their relationship was like and what had happened in the past 5 years.  Whether she remembers... you'll have to go see the movie for yourself!

What I Thought: After seeing the movie two times, I thought that it was a pretty good movie.  Although many may say that they did not like it, I thought the message that the movie told was a very important message.  The quote "I chose to stay with him and to remember all of the good and right things he did, rather than leaving him for the one bad thing he did.".  I think that is one of the most important things to remember; to always remember the positive things about someone, rather than holding onto all of the bad things that one person may say or do.

Other Thoughts: My dad emailed me this article called "The Real Story Behind The Vow".  I really encourage everyone to take a look at this article because it is quite interesting to read about who the characters were written after. Take a look at the exert from this article.

"The Carpenters had been married only 10 weeks when their accident occurred. Krickitt was in a coma for four months, and when she awoke she had lost all memory of the past two years, including her entire relationship with Kim. 
“When I came round from the coma, I had no memory of this whirlwind romance,” said Krickitt in a recent article.   “My parents told me that I was married to this man, and they wouldn’t lie to me, so I knew that I must have loved him deeply. But I had no feelings for him at all, and as hard as I tried, I could not conjure up those feelings.”
Kim’s efforts to help Krickitt recover were hampered by her hostility and sudden mood swings—common aftereffects of brain damage. In their book, Kim wrote:
Unpredictable described our whole relationship. What was her real personality now and how much of it was getting to the surface? How well was she communicating what she thought and felt inside? Were we seeing the new real Krickitt?
Maybe she knew how to behave, knew how to act with me, how to control her anger, how to be affectionate and forgiving, but couldn’t put her knowledge into practice somehow because of her injury. Or maybe she had no idea about any of that. I didn’t know what Krickitt was like spiritually and emotionally anymore, and didn’t know whether her true self—whatever that was—was represented in her actions, or whether there was a disconnect between what she thought and what she did."

No comments:

Post a Comment